Are your teeth stained?
You’re not alone. Many people experience this and ask their dentist for ways to brighten their smile. They want to know how to whiten teeth naturally.
Can it be done? Absolutely! Read on for some helpful, all-natural whitening tips.
How to Whiten Teeth Naturally – Food Choices That Can Brighten Your Smile
Did you know that you can brighten your smile with certain types of foods, like fruits and vegetables?
Here are just a few of the healthful choices that may be useful to incorporate into your diet.
- Apples and strawberries – They contain malic acid, which increases saliva production. Saliva naturally cleans your teeth and helps remove stains.
- Pineapple – This tasty fruit contains bromelain, which breaks down proteins that can lead to staining.
- Celery and carrots – Chewing these vegetables can stimulate saliva flow, which can help to reduce staining.
- Certain oils – Some oils, like coconut oil, can be used in a practice called oil pulling. Oil pulling involves swishing oil in your mouth daily for 15-20 minutes before spitting it out. The oil contains lauric acid, which kills bacteria, a contributing factor in staining.
Why should you try brightening your teeth with these foods?
- They are easy to incorporate into the diet.
- They are healthy. Fruits and vegetables help to reduce your risk of heart disease, stroke, obesity, diabetes, and more.
Why Stains Happen and What You Can Do to Prevent Them
When considering how to whiten teeth naturally, it is important to remember the importance of good home care practices. These are especially important between cleaning and whitening visits to your Toronto dentist.
Home care helps to reduce plaque and bacteria.
The bacteria break down the enamel, which not only makes teeth appear dull but makes it easier for them to absorb food pigments.
Home care tips that help prevent staining include:
- Brush at least twice a day or after every meal
- Drink certain beverages – like tea and soda – through a straw
- Stay well hydrated
- Avoid or reduce foods that may cause staining.
How a Toronto Dentist Can Keep Your Smile Bright and Beautiful
Have you tried the tips above but found little result? Seeing your Toronto dentist may be useful.
A teeth whitening dentist can create a custom whitening treatment plan for your specific needs. This plan can include at-home whitening gel and trays or in-office whitening using a heat lamp – both are great for tenacious staining.
When you invest in professional whitening from your Toronto dentist, you’ll not only see beautiful results – you’ll get them fast and learn how to best sustain them!
Are you ready to brighten your pearly whites? Contact us today to learn more about our professional teeth whitening services.